A beer this good could only be served in a Teku glass.
Number Five came around right about the time that Dave was hitting his 1000th beer on Untappd. Actually, he went over by a few and his 1000th beer was actually something like Budweiser Budvar. Woof. Anyways, to celebrate is 1000th we broke out, and drank (yeah, really) the leftovers from his super crappy 500th beer: Fat Scotch Ale by Silver City Brewing Co. There was plenty of that beer left so when the end of the night rolled around for #3, we capped it, labeled it and I put it in the cellar for safe keeping and of course to oxidize for a few months.
Damn it’s been since December since I posted a teaser for the last tasting with The Crew. We’ve had a couple of tastings since then so let me catch you guys up on both.
Couple previews tonight for you guys. First one comes from Fourteen Stone Drinking Crew #4. Not a bad Cascade lineup last night…
Another great get together with the crew, with some of our recent hauls, some beers Richard brought back from his trip to Seattle and Bill’s birthday beers. This was our first tasting since I finally cleaned up the basement enough to have some beers down there. I have a few stools, a nice 8 foot kitchen prep table I’m using as a makeshift “bar”. The beer cellar is repaired, we’ve got this nice water jug/dump bucket system going (although I really want to get a glass rinser but I don’t think that is in the cards for a while) and I should have a couple more glass racks installed in the ceiling by week’s end. Plus the card table, surround sound system, and the dart board that folds into the ceiling I’ve had for a while now. I’m pretty happy with how the man cave “tasting room” is shaping up.
So after a pretty successful night of running around with Mike, we went back to Chez Fuj and met up with the rest of the guys and a couple of friends of Bill’s from NJ. The lineup for the night:
- Tsunami Stout by The Pelican Pub & Brewery
- Madame Rose (2012) by Goose Island Beer Co.
- The Cowboy by Evil Twin Brewing – pretty much locks in my hatred of smoked beers
- Oude Tart by The Bruery – delish, like all Bruery sours
- Meadowlark IPA by Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project – absolutely fantastic. Glad Bill brought this one to share, been meaning to try it for a while/
- Curieux by Allagash Brewing Company – long time fave since first having it back in May. Richard hadn’t had it yet so I broke this one out from my Birthday Beers from Elise.
- Hop 15 Ale by Port Brewing Company
- Horny Devil by AleSmith Brewing Company – meh. Other than Speedway Stout and their IPAs not much has impressed me from AleSmith.
- Survival 7-Grain Stout by Hopworks Urban Brewery – very solid, just like the IPA goofybear sent me
- Sled Dog Trippelbock by Wagner Valley Brewing Company
- Beer Hop Breakfast by Mikkeller
- Black Hole Barrel Aged Bourbon by Mikkeller
- Femme Fatale Brett by Evil Twin Brewing – Can’t get enough of this beer, really. Evil twin is killing it.
- Rye Hopper Ale by French Broad Brewing Co.
- Declaration by Backlash Beer Company
- Fat Scotch Ale by Silver City Brewing Co. – Dave’s 500th unique Untappd beer
- Tripel Threat by Cambridge Brewing Co.
- Luscious by The Alchemist Pub & Brewery – my 500th unique Untappd beer
- Head Hunter IPA by Fat Head’s Brewery
- Winema Wit by The Pelican Pub & Brewery (Oregon)
- Gandhi-Bot by New England Brewing Co.
- Vampire Slayer by Clown Shoes
- Aphrodisiaque by Brasserie Dieu du Ciel
- Black Butte Porter by Deschutes Brewery
Other than Luscious, which we only incidentally opened because of Untappd, I don’t think any beer stood out as the clear “best beer of the night” or anything. A lot of really solid beers here, of all different types so it’s tough to compare. Fat Head’s never ceases to surprise me with that IPA, same with that Meadowlark. Black Butte was great, as was Curieux, Oude Tart and Madame Rose. No complaints here.
Richard acting a damn fool.
Dave showcasing pretty much how everyone felt by the end of the night morning.
Beer Mail from Cascade Brewing Barrel House
— First time getting beer shipped legally, so that’s new. Some of the guys from Fourteen Stone wanted to get some of this Noyaux before it sold out, so I ordered a couple plus a two of others they haven’t had. Should be a good upcoming drinking night.
Just kidding. This is actually one of my biggest hauls ever. Juicy, Twilight of the Idols, Anna, Abner, George, Edward and Susan are all present. Fourteen Stone, Merc, and Jay are all hooked up. And I got to meet up with a bunch of great beer nerds like Nate and Adam, some BAs and even some Capital District locals throughout the trip, while slamming some Lawson’s Finest at Prohibition Pig for a late lunch. Overall I’d say it was a pretty successful day.
Fourteen Stone Drinking Crew #2
— Naturally I had to grab some growlers and bottles for the Fourteen Stone Drinking Crew while at Hill Farmstead, and with a little coordination from Merc, we made it happen on one of the days he was in town. Elise made a huge spaghetti dinner for the guys mid-tasting, too. The consumption of Tums was plentiful that night.
Like most days Merc is in town, it was a Monday so things didn’t get too crazy. In addition to the Hill Farmstead beer, Jon brought a growler from his Trapp Family Lodge stop on the way home from the Harvest Festival and Merc brought over some randoms from Cascade, Cigar City and others.
- Oktoberfest by Trapp Family Lodge Brewery
- Simcoe Single Hop Pale Ale by Hill Farmstead Brewery
- Society & Solitude #5 by Hill Farmstead Brewery
- Apricot by Cascade Brewing Company
- Arthur by Hill Farmstead Brewery
- Riserva (2011) by Weyerbacher Brewing Company
- Clara by Hill Farmstead Brewery
- Old Numbskull by AleSmith Brewing Company
- Decadence (2011) (Maple Smoked Barleywine) by AleSmith Brewing Company
- Sankt Hans by Hill Farmstead/Grassroots
- Ephraim by Hill Farmstead Brewery
- Everett by Hill Farmstead Brewery
- 110K+OT Batch #5 by Cigar City Brewing (What a disappointment this beer was. Huuuuge barleywine.)
- White Oak by The Bruery
- Hoponius Union by Jack’s Abby Brewing
If you’re wondering about the Golden Blend and Saison Asterisk in the main pic, I snagged them at Hunger Mountain Coop on the way home from the Harvest Festival. Haven’t cracked them yet but you know sure as hell I’ll post some pics when I do.