Just a short post today. Friday Richard and I headed up to Saratoga to check out a few of the events going on for Saratoga Beer Week.
Just a short post today. Friday Richard and I headed up to Saratoga to check out a few of the events going on for Saratoga Beer Week.
At the beginning of the year I like to take a look back at the BeerAdvocate’s Top 100, see what’s moved up and down the charts, what’s new new on the list, and how many I’ve been lucky enough to try over the past year.
No surprise, Heady Topper is still number one and Hill Farmstead takes the most spots on the list. Cantillon, Three Floyds and Russian River still dominate here, and I don’t think that’s going to change any time soon, same with Alpine’s excellent hoppy offerings. The new Bourbon County variants have made a huge splash since their release, all landing on the Top 100.
Newcomer Toppling Goliath has taken a few spots with their PseudoSue, Morning Delight, and KBBS. Nice to see Jester King, Prairie and Perennial show up this year, and I’m sure Cory King’s Side Project will make an appearance next year as more of the product gets in the hands of BAs.
Beers highlighted in bold are beers I’ve had in the past:
- Heady Topper – The Alchemist 4.7 5274
- Pliny The Younger – Russian River Brewing Company 4.65 1797
- Pliny The Elder – Russian River Brewing Company 4.64 7920
- Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout – Goose Island Beer Co. 4.64 3160
- Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) – Founders Brewing Company 4.62 6142
- Zombie Dust – Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub 4.61 4521
- Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) – Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) 4.61 3708
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean – Dark Lord Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub 4.6 661
- Parabola – Firestone Walker Brewing Co. 4.58 3288
- Double Sunshine IPA – Lawson’s Finest Liquids 4.57 1069
- Cantillon Fou’ Foune – Brasserie Cantillon 4.56 1204
- Bourbon County Brand Stout – Goose Island Beer Co. 4.55 6008
- Supplication – Russian River Brewing Company 4.54 3556
- Abner – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.54 992
- The Abyss – Deschutes Brewery 4.52 3796
- Citra DIPA – Kern River Brewing Company 4.52 910
- Founders Breakfast Stout – Founders Brewing Company 4.51 9336
- Bell’s Hopslam – Bell’s Brewery, Inc. 4.51 7212
- Trappistes Rochefort 10 – Brasserie de Rochefort 4.51 5650
- Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout – Cigar City Brewing 4.51 1791
- Duck Duck Gooze – The Lost Abbey 4.51 741
- §ucaba (Abacus) – Firestone Walker Brewing Co. 4.5 2502
- Bell’s Black Note Stout – Bell’s Brewery, Inc. 4.5 1886
- Black Tuesday - The Bruery 4.5 1799
- Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th – Dark Horse Brewing Company 4.5 1217
- Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia – Kuhnhenn Brewing Company 4.5 1124
- Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale – Goose Island Beer Co. 4.5 1094
- Abrasive Ale – Surly Brewing Company 4.49 2135
- Beatification – Russian River Brewing Company 4.49 1317
- Cantillon Lou Pepe – Kriek – Brasserie Cantillon 4.49 896
- Ephraim – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.48 550
- Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) – Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) 4.47 1374
- Barrel-Aged Abraxas – Perennial Artisan Ales 4.47 342
- St. Bernardus Abt 12 – Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV 4.46 5779
- Darkness – Surly Brewing Company 4.46 1909
- Cantillon Saint Lamvinus – Brasserie Cantillon 4.46 1104
- Everett Porter – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.46 1104
- Double Galaxy – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.46 441
- Consecration – Russian River Brewing Company 4.45 2855
- Permanent Funeral – Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub 4.45 870
- Proprietor’s Bourbon County Brand Stout – Goose Island Beer Co. 4.45 253
- Mornin’ Delight – Toppling Goliath Brewing Company 4.45 203
- Temptation – Russian River Brewing Company 4.44 2254
- Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic – Brasserie Cantillon 4.44 1632
- Chocolate Rain – The Bruery 4.44 965
- PseudoSue – Toppling Goliath Brewing Company 4.44 546
- Cable Car – The Lost Abbey 4.44 487
- Adam From The Wood – Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room 4.44 408
- AleSmith Speedway Stout – Bourbon Barrel Aged – AleSmith Brewing Company 4.43 828
- Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout – Toppling Goliath Brewing Company 4.43 149
- Cantillon Blåbær Lambik – Brasserie Cantillon 4.42 473
- Double Citra – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.42 462
- Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier – Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan 4.41 4895
- Enjoy By IPA – Stone Brewing Co. 4.41 4244
- Samuel Adams Utopias – Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) 4.41 1327
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout – Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub 4.41 436
- Sculpin IPA – Ballast Point Brewing Company 4.4 6263
- Dreadnaught IPA – Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub 4.4 3904
- Nelson – Alpine Beer Company 4.4 1472
- Mother Of All Storms – Pelican Pub & Brewery 4.4 1061
- Imperial Eclipse Stout – Elijah Craig (12 Year) – FiftyFifty Brewing Co. 4.4 866
- AleSmith Speedway Stout – AleSmith Brewing Company 4.39 3546
- Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) – Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel 4.39 2931
- Prairie Bomb! – Prairie Artisan Ales 4.39 766
- Hoppy Birthday – Alpine Beer Company 4.39 407
- Society & Solitude #5 – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.39 393
- Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Vintage – Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen 4.39 345
- Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout – California Brandy Barrel Aged – Cigar City Brewing 4.39 323
- Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter – Ballast Point Brewing Company 4.38 2841
- Duet IPA – Alpine Beer Company 4.38 1253
- Melange No. 3 – The Bruery 4.38 974
- Exponential Hoppiness – Alpine Beer Company 4.38 833
- Cascade Sang Noir – Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub 4.38 708
- Cantillon Lou Pepe – Framboise – Brasserie Cantillon 4.38 599
- Susan – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.38 533
- Tröegs Nugget Nectar – Tröegs Brewing Company 4.37 5028
- Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale – Lagunitas Brewing Company 4.37 4691
- Matt - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room 4.37 488
- Society & Solitude #4 – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.37 365
- Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout – Goose Island Beer Co. 4.37 347
- Ten FIDY – Oskar Blues Brewing Company 4.36 5332
- Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break – Evil Twin Brewing 4.36 1551
- Edward – Hill Farmstead Brewery 4.36 1082
- Cantillon Lou Pepe – Gueuze – Brasserie Cantillon 4.36 486
- Bad Boy – Alpine Beer Company 4.36 338
- Imperial Russian Stout – Stone Brewing Co. 4.35 5506
- Founders Imperial Stout – Founders Brewing Company 4.35 3858
- Lunch – Maine Beer Company 4.35 1828
- Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek – Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen 4.35 591
- Atrial Rubicite – Jester King Brewery 4.35 286
- AleSmith Speedway Stout – Kopi Luwak (Bourbon Barrel-Aged) – AleSmith Brewing Company 4.35 280
- Murda’d Out Stout – Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub 4.35 219
- Baudoinia – Goose Island Beer Co. 4.35 215
- Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock – Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying 4.34 4260
- Double Jack – Firestone Walker Brewing Co. 4.34 4135
- Blind Pig IPA – Russian River Brewing Company 4.34 3223
- Wisconsin Belgian Red – New Glarus Brewing Company 4.34 1795
- Fat Head’s Head Hunter IPA – Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon 4.34 1696
- Pure Hoppiness – Alpine Beer Company 4.34 1515
- Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze – Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen 4.34 1471
As for how many of these beers I’ve actually been able to try? Last year at this time I had 47 out of the beginning of 2013′s Top 100. Today, I stand at 90 out of the beginning of 2014′s Top 100. A respectable jump in numbers. I’m sure I’d be saying otherwise this time last year but I don’t think the last 10 would be that hard to try if I really was interested in getting my hands on them (although I shudder to think about the amount of Hill Farmstead I’d have to give up to do so).
How many on the list have you have you had?
Another month, another night of great beers and eats with the Albany BAs. Ross made some killer ribs, I broke out the Baking Steel and slung a few pies, and of course more than a few beers were shared by all. Let’s check it out.
Oh haaaaiiiii. Didn’t think I was gonna get my hands on this one. Thanks for snaggin’ these for me Jill!
It’s been a while since I’ve made it down to the Doom Saloon. The last time was for our epic IPA tasting over the summer. And while the IPA tasting was great, this week’s sour tasting with Ken, Cavedave, Merc, and Jeff2 definitely took the cake. The lineup for the night:
- Sour Barrel Aged Burial at Sea by DC Brau Brewing Company
- 2009 Raspberry Tart by New Glarus Brewing Company
- Sans Pagaie by The Bruery
- The Sauer Peach by Sloop Brewing
- Tart Of Darkness by The Bruery
- Barrel Select Cherry by Captain Lawrence Brewing Company
- 2006 Doesjel by Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
- 2010 Classic Gueuze by Brasserie Cantillon
- 2010 Gueuze 100% Lambic Bio by Brasserie Cantillon
- Marrón Acidifié by The Bruery
- The Vine by Cascade Brewing Company
- Juliet (2012) by Goose Island Beer Co. (AB-InBev)
- Madame Rose (2012) by Goose Island Beer Co. (AB-InBev)
Another great get together with the crew, with some of our recent hauls, some beers Richard brought back from his trip to Seattle and Bill’s birthday beers. This was our first tasting since I finally cleaned up the basement enough to have some beers down there. I have a few stools, a nice 8 foot kitchen prep table I’m using as a makeshift “bar”. The beer cellar is repaired, we’ve got this nice water jug/dump bucket system going (although I really want to get a glass rinser but I don’t think that is in the cards for a while) and I should have a couple more glass racks installed in the ceiling by week’s end. Plus the card table, surround sound system, and the dart board that folds into the ceiling I’ve had for a while now. I’m pretty happy with how the man cave “tasting room” is shaping up.
So after a pretty successful night of running around with Mike, we went back to Chez Fuj and met up with the rest of the guys and a couple of friends of Bill’s from NJ. The lineup for the night:
- Tsunami Stout by The Pelican Pub & Brewery
- Madame Rose (2012) by Goose Island Beer Co.
- The Cowboy by Evil Twin Brewing – pretty much locks in my hatred of smoked beers
- Oude Tart by The Bruery – delish, like all Bruery sours
- Meadowlark IPA by Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project – absolutely fantastic. Glad Bill brought this one to share, been meaning to try it for a while/
- Curieux by Allagash Brewing Company – long time fave since first having it back in May. Richard hadn’t had it yet so I broke this one out from my Birthday Beers from Elise.
- Hop 15 Ale by Port Brewing Company
- Horny Devil by AleSmith Brewing Company – meh. Other than Speedway Stout and their IPAs not much has impressed me from AleSmith.
- Survival 7-Grain Stout by Hopworks Urban Brewery – very solid, just like the IPA goofybear sent me
- Sled Dog Trippelbock by Wagner Valley Brewing Company
- Beer Hop Breakfast by Mikkeller
- Black Hole Barrel Aged Bourbon by Mikkeller
- Femme Fatale Brett by Evil Twin Brewing – Can’t get enough of this beer, really. Evil twin is killing it.
- Rye Hopper Ale by French Broad Brewing Co.
- Declaration by Backlash Beer Company
- Fat Scotch Ale by Silver City Brewing Co. – Dave’s 500th unique Untappd beer
- Tripel Threat by Cambridge Brewing Co.
- Luscious by The Alchemist Pub & Brewery – my 500th unique Untappd beer
- Head Hunter IPA by Fat Head’s Brewery
- Winema Wit by The Pelican Pub & Brewery (Oregon)
- Gandhi-Bot by New England Brewing Co.
- Vampire Slayer by Clown Shoes
- Aphrodisiaque by Brasserie Dieu du Ciel
- Black Butte Porter by Deschutes Brewery
Other than Luscious, which we only incidentally opened because of Untappd, I don’t think any beer stood out as the clear “best beer of the night” or anything. A lot of really solid beers here, of all different types so it’s tough to compare. Fat Head’s never ceases to surprise me with that IPA, same with that Meadowlark. Black Butte was great, as was Curieux, Oude Tart and Madame Rose. No complaints here.
Richard acting a damn fool.
Dave showcasing pretty much how everyone felt by the end of the night morning.
Random Ass Beer Tasting with Merc and Jon
— You guys didn’t actually think that Merc and I sat down and only had two beers when we did the Pliny vs Pliny tasting did you?? C’mon, we’re talking about me and Merc here. Fifty percent of all of the times we drink until I end up calling in the next day.
It wasn’t our best tasting, and there were definitely a few duds but that doesn’t mean you guys shouldn’t check em out. Luckily I cracked open all of the Tree House growlers I picked up from that weekend’s visit to offset some of the bombs we opened. Here was the line up for the night:
- Batch #69 Double Cream Ale by Cigar City Brewing – another dud from Cigar City, kinda disappointing considering that both Cucumber Saison and 110K+OT were not my cup of either and it’s one of my favorite breweries
- Black Phoenix by Bootlegger’s Brewery
- Horseneck Golden IPA by Just Beer
- Julius by Tree House Brewing Company
- Miller High Life by Miller Brewing Company – this was when I was still going for my All-American badge. Don’t judge me.
- Old Man by Tree House Brewing Company
- Sea Bass by Cigar City Brewing - sludgy, and kinda gross. This one did not cellar well AT ALL.
- Talon Extra Select Double IPA by Mendocino Brewing Company – the week of their release. Like most Mendocino beers, completely forgettable
- That’s What She Said by Tree House Brewing Company
- Zes Zes Zes by Three Floyds Brewing – Merc really hyped this one up but honestly it didn’t knock my socks off. The artwork on the label is fucking killer, though.
Annnnnd surprisingly the not worst beer of the night (Sea Bass took that crown for me):
Beer Mail from Illinois, Part Deux
— Little bit of a delay on the follow up from this one but I’ve finally got some Zombie Dust! I’ve never had it before, gonna crack one open tonight. If it’s as any good as Dreadnaught I’m in for a treat. Not to mention the new Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout which just came out (which means it should hit shelves in Upstate NY in about three months, if at all). Thanks, Yet Another Beer Blog!
BCBS Available in the Capital District
— OK, last one for the day. Savemore Beverage just posted they have Bourbon County on their shelves. As far as I know, none of the other big bottle shops in the area have announced likewise, but I’m sure they’ll be following suit soon enough. With FBS on the shelves, too, could be a good time to stock up. For me? I’m anxiously awaiting the release of Bourbon County Cherry Rye.
The annual Bourbon County Brand Stout variations will be available on Black Friday!
This years Bourbon County Coffee is made with a coffee from Honduras called La Tortuga from our friends at Intelligentsia. In addition, we will also be releasing Bourbon County Brand Cherry Rye Stout. This beer is aged in rye whiskey barrels with whole Michigan cherries normally used for Madame Rose.
We cannot guarantee that the beers will be on shelves on Black Friday, this is dependent on wholesale delivery schedules.