…but definitely my first time with one of their cans. Taking a few of these bad boys with the beach with me today for sure.
Damn, I got buried in this trade. Gotta pay it forward on the next one. Thanks for hooking a brotha up, BAstoutsNsours!
Random Ass Beer Tasting with Merc and Jon
— You guys didn’t actually think that Merc and I sat down and only had two beers when we did the Pliny vs Pliny tasting did you?? C’mon, we’re talking about me and Merc here. Fifty percent of all of the times we drink until I end up calling in the next day.
It wasn’t our best tasting, and there were definitely a few duds but that doesn’t mean you guys shouldn’t check em out. Luckily I cracked open all of the Tree House growlers I picked up from that weekend’s visit to offset some of the bombs we opened. Here was the line up for the night:
- Batch #69 Double Cream Ale by Cigar City Brewing – another dud from Cigar City, kinda disappointing considering that both Cucumber Saison and 110K+OT were not my cup of either and it’s one of my favorite breweries
- Black Phoenix by Bootlegger’s Brewery
- Horseneck Golden IPA by Just Beer
- Julius by Tree House Brewing Company
- Miller High Life by Miller Brewing Company – this was when I was still going for my All-American badge. Don’t judge me.
- Old Man by Tree House Brewing Company
- Sea Bass by Cigar City Brewing – sludgy, and kinda gross. This one did not cellar well AT ALL.
- Talon Extra Select Double IPA by Mendocino Brewing Company – the week of their release. Like most Mendocino beers, completely forgettable
- That’s What She Said by Tree House Brewing Company
- Zes Zes Zes by Three Floyds Brewing – Merc really hyped this one up but honestly it didn’t knock my socks off. The artwork on the label is fucking killer, though.
Annnnnd surprisingly the not worst beer of the night (Sea Bass took that crown for me):
My Ingredient Kit for Tonight’s Cigar City / Dogfish Head Randall Jr. “World Wide Hunahpu’s Stout” Mashup
— Told you guys I was doing this. See you at The Ruck for 30 Days Til Dogfish Head Night.
Stars are not aligning for me to make it to Hunahpu Day this year. Thanks to douchebag Long Island bro fucktards, SUNY’s spring break coordinates with St. Patty’s Day since these motherfuckers cannot hold their liquor and can’t day drink without rioting and flipping over cars and shit. Fucking amateurs.
Since Elise is a PhD student at SUNY Albany our spring vacation revolves around their spring break, and to send said douchebag Long Islanders home to mommy and daddy to avoid another riot, it starts whatever weekend the St. Patty’s Day parade is on. This year that would be 16th, and since Hunahpu Day is the 9th, most likely I can’t make it. Needless to say, I’m fucking pissed. To the SUNY students in question: fuck you.
Cigar City Brewing Leon
– Just announced on their Facebook page:
Introducing Leon. A 13% ABV English barley wine aged in apple brandy barrels. We’re now selling Leon in the tasting room. $20 a bottle, no bottle limit. We also have it on tap. OKAD. Come and get it today before it’s gone!
An apple brandy barrel-aged barley wine from CCB? If it’s as good as their Apple Brand Hunahpu I’d be all over this. If anyone from Tampa wants to trade for some Hill Farmstead, Heady Topper, or Lawson’s let me know! I’ll be in VT next weekend for the Hill Farmstead Harvest Festival and can get pretty much anything you want.
EDIT: Looks like this was taken down from their Facebook page. Not sure if that means it is no longer available or that it’s suuuuuuper secret and only brewpub customers are supposed to know. Either way, get in my belly!
This is without a doubt my favorite part of the BCTC experience. Belgian after Belgian after Belgian gets old pretty quick (for me) these days so it’s good to take a break from it all and start drinking something different. That plus walking around meeting new people who are willing to share a beer and food, dropping in on other friend’s camp sites, watching the movie and the fireworks all make for a really great night.
We started the night drinking some really great beers, eating a shit ton of brats in sauerkraut, and ended the morning around 6AM drinking pretty much anything that still had liquid in it (several times I was chugging a magnum of Jameson, ugh). Yes, we were “those guys” who were being complained to “take it down a notch”. Yeah, that didn’t really work out, and pretty much all of the other stragglers that were still up at any of the campsites within earshot (and further) came over to hang out and kinda just made things louder. Honestly this was the best time I’ve ever had at BCTC and I thank all who were there to hang out.
Thanks to Mike, Jon, Scott Jr., and Adam for sharing!
The lineup of the night:
- King Henry – Goose Island Beer Co.
- 2008 Bourbon County Brand Stout – Goose Island Beer Co.
- Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout – Goose Island Beer Co.
- Juliet – Goose Island Beer Co.
- Curieux – Allagash Brewing Company (not pictured)
- Imperial Milk Porter (Stranahan Whiskey Barrel Aged) – Cigar City Brewing
- Frangelic Mountain Brown – Founders Brewing Company
- Three Penny Especiale – Lawson’s Finest Liquids
- Bourbon Barrel Backburner – Southern Tier Brewing Company (not pictured growler)
Laird’s Apple Brandy Barrel Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout & Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout – Cigar City Brewing
– The Apple Brandy was brought in as an extra from one of the members of Team Buffalo. A once in a lifetime opportunity to try this beer. Possibly the darkest beer I’ve ever seen in my life. Makes other beers that you’ve said look like “motor oil” look like water. Let’s just say it was outstanding, even on a 90+ degree summer day.